Sunday, August 30, 2009

Meet the amazing mum behind Little Choopie

And speaking of Little Choopie..Amanda is another of the lovely WAHM's that Id like to share a bit about with you..

What inspired you to start your online business ?

Being an avid fan on online shopping and looking for something to do with my time at home when my little boy took his long 3 hour naps (instead on spending all our money on online shopping), I decided to venture into making girls hair accessories. Thrilled with the outcome, I quickly (read very quickly) set up an online store. It was around this time that felt conscience stricken (loving mothers gult) that I didn't have any boys products in my range (after my branding was based on my little boys' namesake, Little Choopie) so I ventured into making some modern whimsical applique'd t-shirts for funky babies and toddlers tro go with my ever expanding range of girls accessories.

How did you come up with the name 'Little Choopie' ?

The name Little Choopie comes from the nickname I gave my little boy, Lucca when he was only days old. I can't ever recall hearing such a name but Little Choopie seemed to fit him so well. A bit fun and definately unique I decided that this name would stand out from all the others, so it was decided I would name my business after my Little Choopie and still have a beuatiful connection with my gorgeous little boy.

What did you want to be when you were a little girl ?

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a hairdresser. I remember standing on stage at the kids talent quest telling everyone that when I grew up I would be a hairdresser. Having moved in a very different direction and become a trauma nurse by profession, I feel like I have almost done a full circle as I now make new accessories for hair (just not quite up to the hair styling/cutting stage yet!!) Its very strange how life leads us down very different paths and I am thrilled to be moving this path.

What is your favourite colour ?

My favourite colour varies between red and pink. I love them both as much as each other and really love red and pink together in childrens fashion. Such a girlie girl, I even had a pink party for my hens night, all the guests were asked to wear a touch of pink, the cocktails were pink and the professional manicurists we had at the hotel only provided pink shades of nail polish. All very fun and ultimately very girlie!!

What is the best thing about being a work a home mum ?

The best thing about being a WAHM (work at home mum) is I still get to be with my little man all day and have lots of fun together but still feel like I am connecting in the adult world as I go about building my business. I love being here when he needs me or being able to take time away from working if he is unwell.

What advice do you have for other mums wanting to start a business from home ?

My advice to other mums wanting to start a business at home is go for it. Follow your dreams and start of slow and steady and NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. Networking has been the most beneficial part to building my business and I have met the most amazing and talented women and men along the way.

How do you juggle the balance of working at home and being mum ?

Initially when I started Little Choopie the balance between working at home and being a mum was a lot easier as my little boy took his long afternoon naps and I would just try to get my orders and website things done during this time. As my business has expanded my little one has started to drop a few sleeps in the afternoon, which has made the balance difficult to obtain but I have been trying to wake earlier and go to bed later at night so I can get more things done during the times he is in bed. Lucca loves my buttons so often when I am making orders he will put all the buttons back into the bags for me or I will get him to do different activities whilst I am making up an order. Whilst at the moment I am finding it hard to obtain a great balance between the two, I am hoping once my website is relaunched things will be more settled.

What do you do to relax / what is your idea of a relaxing day ?

To relax I love to get out of the house and away from the computer with Lucca to go for a babycino whilst I have a nice super mug of decaf cappucino. There is a lovely cafe providore near my home which has a gorgeous alfresco dining area that looks on to a landscaped dam with lots of ducks swimming around. After our "cinos" we go and see the ducks and Lucca has a lovely time. Its so beautiful seeing him all excited about the simple things in life. The ideal relaxing day is going for a drive with my husband to the yarra valley to have a beautiful meal and a few glasses of wine and watch lucca play is a fabulous little playground they have at the grand hotel we love going to.

Tell us 3 of your favourite things in your shop right now ?

ooh 3 favourite things in Little Choopie made with love right now would be the sail away t-shirt, apple of my eye t-shirt and the Ballet x3 large hair ties in a tin. I really love red, white blue and pink colours at the moment and not to mention polka dots! I am crazy about them!!

Visit Amanda's beautiful online store here www.littlechoopie.com.au

2 comments:

  1. I love the new website WELL done Sarah and Amanda I want everything x
    Jen
    MINi-Stylista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love little choopie and of course Style me gorgeous. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete